But how can you determine what you really enjoy? It seems like this should be simple, but often it’s just not. We get so bogged down with other people’s advice, opinions about prestige, messages about what’s realistic, worries about money, etc., that sometimes we just can’t tell. And sometimes we haven’t really had the space to contemplate this at all, and have simply moved from high school to college (with a practical major, of course) to a series of jobs. So wake up that little kid you used to be and check in! That little kid had some pretty strong opinions.
And in case you need guidance, here are some questions to get you started. Think deeply about these and don’t answer anything because you should feel one way or the other, or people have told you something, or any of those other external factors. Be deeply true to yourself, and be as specific as possible. (Use more space as you need it!)
- The last job/internship/volunteer position I had that I really liked:
- The work I tasks enjoyed in that role:
- What I enjoyed about the people in that role:
- What I liked about the work environment:
Some ideas I’ve entertained:
- What’s kept me from moving forward: