Do the holidays make you feel stressed and anxious? You’re not alone! Here are some tips for getting through the season.
- Take a few seconds to breathe. Inhale slowly and deeply, exhale slowly and deeply. I find it most effective to do three or 4 times. Repeat as necessary.
- Investigate a mindfulness practice. Some apps like https://www.calm.com/ and https://www.headspace.com/ have free versions.
- Spend a little time doing things you enjoy. Take the pups to the dog park, watch a movie, take a bubble bath.
- Avoid too much alcohol. I know, it seems like an immediate fix when Aunt Gertrude starts on one of her rants, but consistent holiday indulging will lead to a much harder post-holiday recovery.
- Get a little exercise. It’s hard to remember to fit this in, but this is one of those self-care routines that I find to be really essential. You don’t have to go crazy but take a brisk walk or break out the ol’ yoga mat.