On Tuesday we covered mindful breathing and mindful observation. Today I’ll give you a couple more techniques and some general tips for handling that unhealthy chronic stress.
Mindfulness technique #3: Attention
- Think of something you do every day but don’t think about like eating.
- Next time you begin to eat something, really stop and pay attention.
- Before you start, stop and appreciate how your food looks and smells.
- Take a bite and really savor it. Enjoy the textures and flavors.
- Stop and consider the bite you just finished.
Mindfulness technique #4: Appreciation
- Notice 3 things (or people!) you don’t stop and appreciate.
- Have you ever properly acknowledged how these things benefit your life and the lives of others?
- Have you ever thought about what life might be like without these things?
- Have you ever stopped to notice their finer, more intricate details?
Again, these won’t solve larger problems like an unmanageable workload or a toxic job, but they’re a good starting point for getting through your day with more peace. Other stress management strategies include:
- Eating a healthy diet and getting regular exercise and plenty of sleep
- Practicing relaxation techniques such as trying yoga, practicing deep breathing, getting a massage or learning to meditate
- Taking time for hobbies, such as reading a book or listening to music
- Fostering healthy friendships
- Having a sense of humor
- Volunteering in your community
- Seeking professional counseling when needed